Organic peroxide molecule composition contains oxygen radicals (-o-o-), flammable and explosive, easy to decompose, heat, vibration, friction is extremely sensitive.
Organic peroxide is mainly used as polymerization initiator and catalyst for synthetic resin. In the field of polymer materials, it can be used as initiator of free radical polymerization, Organic Peroxides initiator of graft reaction, crosslinking agent of rubber and plastics, Organic Peroxides curing agent of unsaturated polyester and molecular weight and molecular weight distribution modifier in the preparation of spinning grade polypropylene. Polluted air in the environment under the action of light through free radical reaction can produce benzoyl nitrate ester compounds, is one of the seeds of photochemical oxidants.
The vast majority of organic peroxides are colorless to yellowish liquid, or solids of white powder to crystalline state. Generally have weak acidity, most insoluble in water, Organic Peroxides soluble in phthalic acid and dimethyl ester and other organic solvents, is a kind of unstable flammable explosive compounds.
The structural characteristics of peroxide groups in organic peroxides determine the following chemical properties:
(1) has a strong oxidation effect.
(2) has the natural decomposition nature, in 40 ℃ above, Organic Peroxides most peroxide active oxygen reduces.
(3) Acid and alkaline substances can promote decomposition. Strong acid and alkali metals, alkaline earth metal hydroxide (solid or high concentration aqueous solution) can cause violent decomposition.
(4) The organic peroxide and redox system compounds of Fe, Organic Peroxides CO and MN promote the decomposition remarkably.
(5) strongly reduced amine compounds and other reducing agents significantly promote decomposition.
(6) Iron, lead and copper alloy can promote its decomposition.
(7) Rubber can promote its decomposition.
(8) Friction, vibration or impact storage container caused by local temperature rise, can promote decomposition.
In the field of polymer materials, organic peroxide is used as initiator of free radical polymerization, initiator of graft reaction, crosslinking agent of rubber and plastics, Organic Peroxides curing agent of unsaturated polyester and molecular weight and molecular weight distribution modifier in the preparation of spinning grade polypropylene. Organic peroxide is the source of free radicals in the following uses: Free radical polymerization and copolymerization initiator of ① vinyl and two monomer, ② curing agent of thermosetting resin, crosslinking agent of ③ Organic Peroxides elastomer and polyethylene.
As a free radical initiator in the synthesis of resins, rubber and plastics, Organic Peroxides organic peroxide is widely used in chemical synthesis industry.